The secret to getting rid of body acne is really quite simple: keep your body clean. Especially after intense exercising or anything else that causes excessive perspiration. Sweat is a lovely thing for your skin and overall body, but you should never allow it to dry on the skin.
Sweat clogs your pores and traps acne-causing oil, dead skin cells, and bacteria. And then it’s “Hello!” blackheads, whiteheads, pustules, and/or cysts. So instead of letting sweat fester into breakouts, shower immediately with an acne body wash formulated to heal and prevent acne. Then you can avoid all the angst, and sometimes physical pain, that those unsightly blemishes carry with them.
What to Look For in an Acne Body Wash
So what should you look for in a good acne body wash?
You want a body cleanser that removes the dead cells, bacteria, debris, and excess oil from your skin to thwart the ability of acne to thrive and remove the welcome mat that invites it to visit again. Benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid are ingredients that do all that. However, benzoyl peroxide, as effective as it is, can be too harsh for sensitive or dry skin or for use during seriously dry winter weather. Salicylic acid, on the other hand, soothes and hydrates all skin types.
Keep in mind that the exfoliants in the body wash will do the work. You don’t need to rub-a-dub scrub, lest you damage and dry out the skin, which then gets the oil glands churning, and you’re right back to where you started – with excessively oily skin that breeds acne.
Natural ingredients, such as botanical extracts and essential oils, introduce a wealth of benefits into skin care products with less chance of adverse side effects.
In case you’re tempted to “cheat” one day and use your facial acne wash to shower with, it’s a useless endeavor. There is a slight difference between face acne and body acne, because body pores are larger than facial pores. The “rule” is: there are body washes that are very helpful for acne on your face. But there is little point in using facial wash on your body.
Okay, enough with the talking. You’re here for an acne body wash, dammit! Without further ado, here are the eight best acne body wash picks to zap zits as you shower!
Humane Acne Wash contains 10% benzoyl peroxide, the strongest concentration permitted without a prescription. It effectively and efficiently heals moderate to severe acne and hinders future outbreaks.
For decades, benzoyl peroxide has been used as a potent treatment for acne, including cystic acne, by penetrating deeply into pores to flood them with oxygen. Acne-causing bacteria cannot survive in an oxygen-rich environment.
In Humane’s specialized formula, benzoyl peroxide is micronized (pulverized into microscopic particles), and it gets deep down into the pores even more quickly and kills the bacteria that much more efficiently. In addition, benzoyl peroxide breaks down plugs of dead cells, debris, and oil in clogged pores and keeps them clear, helping to prevent future outbreaks of acne.
Rinse the wash off thoroughly and follow up with a moisturizer and sunscreen. Do not use other acne lotions, creams, etc., immediately after showering.
This body wash is not for sensitive skin. If your skin becomes irritated, overly dry, or it peels, limit the number of times you use it if you want to continue taking advantage of its good qualities.
Be careful: benezoyl peroxide is known to bleach hair and fabrics. Don’t use those new hot pink towels, gals! This is the time to drag out the old washcloths and towels.
- Maximum-Strength Acne Treatment Wash: Formulated with 10% benzoyl peroxide, Humane...
- Treats Both Face & Body Acne: This non-foaming (SLS-free) cleanser can be used for...
- Unclogs Pores, Soothes Redness & Clears Skin: Helps clear up blackheads, whiteheads,...
Say goodbye to body acne with this powerful, patented body wash that contains glycolic and salicylic acids, fine-grained date seed powder, and triclosan. It is recommended for sensitive skin and severe acne.
Salicylic and glycolic acids make an unbeatable team in fighting acne. They work together to get down deep into the pores to dislodge the gridlock, eliminate outbreaks, and soothe irritated skin. Date seed powder, by way of its natural lactic acid composition, exfoliates and keeps your skin vibrant and smooth.
Triclosan starves bacteria by shutting down their ability to feed on the fatty acids that they need to thrive. Another major benefit is that triclosan is not very water soluble; it remains on the skin and continues to destroy bacteria long after you’ve finished showering. Natural extracts, such as green tea and licorice root, remove toxins, soothe, and give your skin a healthy glow.
When using AHAs, in this case glycolic acid, your skin is more susceptible to sunburn. Use sunscreen faithfully.
- Refreshing acne-fighting body wash treats and prevents body breakouts on the back,...
- Salicylic acid penetrates deep into pores to clear active breakouts and prevent new...
- Apply a small amount to fingertips and massage into neck, chest and back while...
This Acnedote Scrub gently exfoliates your skin from head to toe to prevent acne outbreaks without irritating even sensitive skin.
Acnedote Scrub contains willow bark extract, a natural source of salicylic acid, that penetrates deeply into the skin to exfoliate, open pores, clear them of oil plugs, boost cell turnover and collagen production, and lighten dark spots.
Chamomile extract reduces inflammation and assists in the fight against dirt, oil, and pore-plugging dead skin cells. Powder-fine granules of walnut shell slough away those dead cells and give your skin a polished glow. Licorice and lentil extracts counteract acne-causing bacteria. Aloe soothes irritated skin.
Overall, it’s a super affordable acne body wash that’s perfect for both the face and body!
- One 8 oz. bottle of Alba Botanica Acnedote Maximum Strength Face & Body Scrub
- Treats and prevents acne and breakouts
- Made with a 2% salicylic acid and willow bark solution
Nubian Heritage Body Wash effectively blends native ingredients and the medicinal wisdom of ancient African, Hispanic, Indian, and Asian cultures to fill a modern demand for pure, natural products.
Traditional African black soap is made from dried plantain skins, palm leaves, and palm kernel oil for an all-natural cleansing. Powder made from the shell of the cocoa fruit is added for its antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that heal acne, reduce swelling, and clarify your skin. Shea butter hydrates, soothes, and softens your skin to keep it youthful and supple.
Nubian Heritage updates the black soap recipe by adding salicylic acid and botanical extracts to enhance its ability to treat acne, balance skin tone, and improve skin texture. We’ve already discussed the ways in which salicylic acid is one of the most effective warriors against acne. Oat extract, aloe vera, and vitamin E assist in the fight against acne with their detoxifying and healing properties. Peppermint and sage oils soften your skin and lend the wash a fresh woodsy scent that works for both women and men.
In addition to using body wash in the shower, you can add a capful to warm water and relax in a spa-like bath while you heal your skin. Follow up with a moisturizer.
- Made with certified organic ingredients
- Combines the ancient medicinal properties of black soap with the hydrating properties...
- Active botanical extracts and salicylic acid to more effectively treat acne, balance...
This all-natural, gentle body wash is made up of a cornucopia of essential oils and antibacterial extracts, including tea tree oil and neem (Indian lilac) oil, which have been used for centuries to cure skin conditions and are top ingredients in acne treatments.
Ingredients include omega 3, 6, 7, and 9 essential fatty acids, which boost or repair the skin’s natural ability to retain moisture, protect against harmful environmental organisms and bacteria, and aid in cell-to-cell communication.
Quinoa extract replenishes collagen, and Rose of Jericho extract binds moisture to your skin for long-lasting hydration. Olive, jojoba, cranberry, pomegranate oils, cinnamon bark extract, rosemary leaf extract, and vitamin E all join in the fight against acne to cleanse, nourish, and soothe your skin. Mint oil gives the wash a pleasant, invigorating scent.
This liquid soap is highly concentrated. A little will give you a nice foamy lather that rinses off easily. You can squeeze it onto a loofah or pour some into your bath. Dispense with care. The consistency is thin and there is no flow regulator on the cap. It’s easy to pour out too much and waste it.
- ORGANIC & NATURAL INGREDIENTS (NO HARMFUL CHEMICALS!!!) NO Chemical Preservatives,...
- CONCENTRATED VALUE SIZE – Rich Foaming Action and Concentrated Liquid Solution...
- COMPLEXION CONTROL - Helps Wash Away Dirt, Impurities, & Make-up from Skin Surface...
Looking for the best acne body wash to thoroughly clear your pores? Safe House Naturals Wash contains ingredients that are among the best at pulling the toxins, bacteria, oil, and dead skin cells out of your congested pores: activated charcoal and bentonite clay.
Like all Safe House Naturals products, the formula is original, without fillers, and created completely on-site. Organic vegan ingredients are combined with a custom base for a rich lather that leaves your skin squeaky clean and moisturized.
Tea tree oil and frankincense oil are naturally antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, control oil, and heal acne scars. Frankincense also contributes the earthy, invigorating scent. Aloe vera and coconut oil heal and soothe your skin. Rice bran, eucalyptus oil, and sage oil have a synergistic effect, enriching the formula with vitamins, nutrients, and antioxidants.
It’s hydrating enough to use as a daily body acne wash – even for sensitive skinned beauties!
- ALL NATURAL + ORGANIC SKIN CARE- PETA APPROVED CRUELTY-FREE & VEGAN - MANUFACTURED IN...
- FACIAL CLEANSER WITH ESSENTIAL OILS TO: FIGHT ACNE - REDUCE OIL - CLARIFY SKIN -...
- ACTIVATED CHARCOAL + BENTONITE CLAY GENTLY EXFOLIATE & PULL TOXINS FROM OILY...
Blemish Buffing Beads is a gentle scrub that treats, controls, and prevents acne. Jojoba beads are the premier ingredient. They are soft and ultra fine, and they exfoliate dead cells, open clogged pores, and soothe your skin. The round, smooth beads are processed from jojoba oil and won’t abrade your skin like sharp-edged, powdered-shell exfoliants do. In addition, they are safe for anyone who is allergic to nuts. And they’re safe for the environment. Unlike the synthetic microbeads used in many other products, jojoba beads are biodegradable.
Once again, salicylic acid and glycolic acid team up for their powerful anti-acne properties. Sepicontrol™ A5 combines glycine, a commonly used skin purifier, and cinnamon bark extract for their astringent properties and their ability to balance the skin’s chemistry, tame those hyperactive oil glands, and aid in the generation of new skin cells.
As gentle as they are, jojoba beads can dry out very sensitive skin. However, if you have oily skin, this is the ultimate feel-good cleanser and healer. Either way, follow up with a moisturizer.
- An ultra-gentle yet effective acne scrub that cleanses, treats, and exfoliates the...
- A glycolic acid complex helps reduce the look of discoloration for flawless,...
- It is all skin types
Just Natural Body Wash has a potent yet gentle formula that contains a blend of natural ingredients to heal and prevent acne. Tea tree oil and aloe vera are by now very familiar ingredients in acne treatments. Less well known are:
- Foraha oil, extracted from the fruit of a Southeast Asian evergreen tree, penetrates all three layers of the skin to aid in regenerating skin tissues to replace those damaged by acne.
- Karanja oil, cold-pressed from the seeds of the pongam tree in India, is a natural antiseptic that cleanses and heals.
- Sea buckthorn oil, from the fruit and seeds of the Asian and European shrub, softens and strengthens the skin and reduces scarring, swelling, and inflammation.
- Manuka oil, from the manuka tree in New Zealand, combats skin infections, including acne-causing bacteria.
- Rice protein, distilled from the grain, bolsters your skin’s moisture barrier to maintain hydration, relieve dry skin, and protect from environmental aggressors.
Since it contains no harsh chemicals, Just Natural Body Wash’s only “side effect” is clear, healthy, radiant skin. Perfect for acne-prone sensitive skin!
- MAXIMUM STRENGTH ACNE WASH: The cleanest body and face wash for all skin types. Our...
- CLEAN AND NON MEDICATED FORMULA: Treats and prevents breakouts with skin soothing...
- PROTECT AND RESTORE YOUR YOUTHFUL SKIN: This body wash cleanses the skin to reduce...
Extra Tips on Preventing Body Acne
A good acne body wash is certainly helpful, but there are also a few practices that can help clear body acne once and for all!
- Use a clean washcloth every time you shower. Bacteria have a habit of hanging around.
- Better yet, use konjac sponges that are infused with activated bamboo charcoal.
- Use a natural bristle brush to thoroughly clean your back. A brush made with antibacterial bamboo and boar bristles is soft and hygienic.
- Change your sheets regularly. Twice a week is recommended.
- Before your workout at the gym, wipe down any weight and cardio machines with an antibacterial wipe. Bacteria hangs there also.
- In between exercises, clear sweat from your body with clean towels or anti-bacterial wipes.